REVIEW: KILL FOR IT by LIZZIE FRY


 

I'm sure it's no secret that I'm a big fan of Lizzie Fry's work. What I particularly admire is her sense of pace. There are few, if any, longueurs in her writing. She is also clever at keeping the reader guessing. I had no idea what was going to happen to Erin or Cat - though I feared for both as the story developed. 

There can be few women who don't identify with the lives of these characters - the mistreatment by partners, the micro-aggressions both experience at work. But that's the skill of Fry, neither character is likeable at times, Cat particularly so - but you find yourself relating to them. 

Fry is also adept at portraying the link between trauma and behaviour. She demonstrates an innate understanding of her characters. I liked that Erin struggles with family commitments and earning a living. She wants to fix everything for her husband and sons; for her upstairs neighbour, Asif; even, disastrously, for Cat. 

The ending was a stroke of genius! No spoilers here, mind. Suffice to say that here are female characters who are complex: frail, machiavellian, yet enduring. 

BUY IT HERE

Comments

Popular Posts